New York (AP)- The chart-topping R&B trio TLC captured three awards, including artist of the year, to walk away as the big winner at the annual Billboard Music Awards Wednesday.
Canadian singer Joni Mitchell received the century award.
The awards were upstaged by the absence of Michael Jackson, who had been scheduled to receive an award but collapsed hours earlier and was taken to a hospital.
Neither Michael nor his sister Janet, also scheduled to receive an award, appeared at the ceremony. Tina Turner accepted Michael Jackson's award and wished him a speedy recovery. Basketball star and rapper Shaquille O'Neal, on stage to present Janet Jackson's award, said she was 'chillin' with Mike."
The Billboard awards are determined by the magazine's year-end charts, which are based on a combination of record sales and radio airplay.
The winners were:
- TLC, artist of the year, R&B artist and R&B single of the year for Creep.
- Hootie and the Blowfish, album of the year for Cracked Rear View.
- Coolio, single of the year for Gangsta's Paradise.
- Mary J Blige, R&B album of the year for My Life.
- Collective Soul, rock track of the year for December.
- Garth Brookes, country album of the year for The Hits.
- Live, rock artist of the year.
- John Michael Montgomery, country artist and country single for Sold.
- Notorious Big, rap artist and rap single of the year for One More Chance//Stay With Me.
- Michael Jackson, Hot 100 Chart Achievement Award.
- Joni Mitchell, Century Award.
- Michael Jackson collapsed on stage at Manhattan's Beacon Theatre around 4 p.m. on Wednesday while rehearsing for a television special and was taken to Beth Israel Medical Center North, where he was being held overnight. Emergency workers said he was suffering from apparent dehydration.
Copyright protected material on this website is used in accordance with 'Fair Use', for the purpose of study, review or critical analysis, and will be removed at the request of the copyright owner(s). Please read Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement.
Added to Library on June 21, 2002. (5500)
Log in to make a comment